When used correctly, the right grinding wheel can make a world of difference in your cutting operations. However, the performance of your grinding wheel is still largely dependent upon the care given to it during handling, installation, and, of course, use.
- Closely inspect all grinding wheels before mounting to ensure they haven’t been damaged while in storage or in transit.
- Ensure that all wheels, blotters, and flanges are free of any foreign matter.
- Ensure that guards and work rests are properly adjusted and secure before starting the machine.
- Confirm that bushings do not project beyond the side of the wheel or wheel blotter when used. Grinding wheels should fit freely, but not loosely, on the spindle.
- Always use a safety guard to cover at least one-half of the grinding wheel.
- Allow a newly mounted wheel to run at operating speed with a guard in place for at least one minute before starting to dress or grind.
- Always wear protective glasses or some type of eye protection when grinding.
- Always dress or make grinding contact gently.
- Re-dress the wheel when necessary.
- Turn off the coolant before stopping the wheel to avoid creating an out of balance condition.
- Entrust untrained personnel with mounting a grinding wheel.
- Mount a grinding wheel on any machine for which it wasn’t originally intended.
- Use wheels for purposes other than those for which they are designed.
- Start the machine until the guard is in place.
- Stand directly in front of the wheel when the machine is started.
- Exceed the maximum operating speed established for the wheel.
- Use excessive pressure or jam the work into the wheel.
- Grind on the side of the wheel.
- Force grinding so that the motor noticeably slows or the work gets hot.
- Apply pressure to wheels to stop them.
- Allow stationary wheels to rest in fluids.
- Continuously use glazed wheels without dressing.
If your personnel follow these trusty dos and don’ts to a tee, we promise you’ll never run into any unexpected issues while installing or using your grinding wheels. Just make sure this list makes it into the right hands and then you can get back to more pressing matters in your day (like what you’re ordering for lunch).
Want to learn more about what grinding wheels are available to you? All you need to do is click the button below.