The spirit of cooperation and teamwork has always been a crucial piece of Simmons’ foundation, but we also strive to recognize individual performance whenever we can.
We expect all Simmons’ employees, current and potential, to exhibit our core values of integrity, passion, positive attitude, and respect every single day they show up for work.
Simmons offers competitive compensation and benefits, continuous learning opportunities, and the chance to make an impact on a thriving business in a challenging, long-term role.
We take great care to provide a benefits package that provides for the health, happiness, and financial security for all of our employees and their families.
Simmons is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company that is dedicated to maintaining a safe, healthy work environment.
Apply for any of our open positions below. If it’s the right fit, you can expect to hear from us soon.
Simmons Knife & Saw, a leading manufacturer of high quality band and reciprocating cutting blades since 1946, is seeking a well-organized, highly motivated, Mechanical Engineer to join our team. We proudly serve the foam, wood, pallet, leather, packaging, metal fabrication and machine shop, and food processing industries.
The successful candidate will be mechanically adept and have the desire to add value to the engineering efforts of our company. Must work constructively with our Manufacturing and Sales/Marketing departments as well with as our customer and vendor base. The right fit will have the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
This role works onsite daily at our facility in Glendale Heights. Hours of this position are 8:00am until 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Will report to our Director of Engineering.
This is a hands-on role that requires an estimated 40% of time on the shop floor.
- Create mechanical designs for equipment used in bandsaw blade manufacturing.
- Perform engineering calculations to support design work.
- Use Solidworks to create, modify, and detail models, assemblies, and drawings.
- Ensure that project timelines and budgets are adhered to.
- Provide technical support and documentation (drawings, calculations) for sales and manufacturing of new and legacy band saw blades. Will eventually own our internal design review process.
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering team, manufacturing team, vendors, and contractors.
- Provide engineering services for machinery repair to maintenance and production departments. This includes troubleshooting, reverse engineering, repair solutions, and component selection/sourcing.
- Inspect machinery (100+) and facility systems (air compressors, HVAC, lighting, dock equipment, security systems).
- Build new equipment, including mechanical assembly, pneumatic and hydraulic installation, and electrical wiring.
- Provide hands-on assistance to maintenance technicians as needed.
- Solicit observations from operators related to machinery repair and improvements.
- Ensure compliance of company safety policies, programs and initiatives including OSHA and environmental regulations.
- Manage supplier/vendor relations as appropriate.
- Maintain and organize spare parts inventory.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working as an engineer in a manufacturing environment.
- Excellent Solidworks skills.
- Firm grasp of engineering concepts including tolerancing, specifying fits, basic thermodynamics, materials selection, power transmission, and pumps & plumbing.
- Knowledge of machine shop practices.
- Experience with motion control, grinding, and punch press operations desirable.
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills and reasoning ability.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly – both written and verbally.
- Self-motivation and the ability to get along in a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Strong cross-functional communication and collaboration is a must.
- Comfortable with a hands-on role that includes a high level of mobility between the office and the plant. This includes walking, standing, lifting, etc while doing actual physical work in the plant and strong computer and administrative skills while in the office.
- Knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations.
- Working knowledge of ISO and Lean principles desirable.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 3 years
- Monday to Friday
- How many years have you worked as a Mechanical Engineer in a manufacturing environment?
- How many years of experience do you have using Solidworks?
Work Location: One location